Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Arduino gauges in sight!

The good folks at mycockpit have an outstanding forum going about arduino driven servo gauges.  Jim has set up a great program called Link2fs_inOut (freeware available here ) that sends plain language values to arduino sketches which use them to drive servos.  There are currently sketches available for driving a Vertical Speed Indicator and an Attitude Indicator.  This stuff is pretty close to plug and play!

I have figured out how to upload sketches, and am trying to get a handle on how to modify the sketches that are available to build more instruments!  Just need to figure out how to get the pins connected between the servo and arduino.  I am thinking about a breakout board that will allow a common ground and +5v.  Unfortunately there is no place in my town to purchase the header pins.  Sigh, will have to go to mail order again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious, given that you worked with Phidgets & FS2Phidgets to do the LEDs, why not use a Phidgets Servo card and FS2Phidgets for this as well?

    Whats the advantage of the Arduino and Link2FS over a Phidgets Servo card & FS2Phidgets?

    I'm just getting back to my build this fall and I was starting to work on a servo control for the flap gauge so this is front and center for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom,

      I am playing with Arduino for a couple of reasons. First is because they are very inexpensive. I got my Uno card for about $20. I believe I can do 8 or 12 servos with it. Second was just interest in seeing how it worked due to all the projects at mycockpit.

      Third was the complete lack of information I could find on fs2p and servo use. I also admit a bit of frustration with the v4 / v5 switch. I thought if I had to relearn the interface, I may as well check out something that looked more versatile.

      Link2fs is an incredibly easy interface for some things. It is a bit limited by not offering access to all of the outputs I need, but it was very satisfying to see those servos move in time with the screen.

      Delete